Between here and my post on Hometalk, everyone was so sweet about our laundry room. I am actually impressed myself I was able to pull it off. I must say one of my favorite new home improvement tools I used during this flip…..paintable caulk. I know, weird, but seriously it is something amazing. I read a lot of home improvement/decorating blogs and I have heard about it, but never used it myself. When my mom and I were hanging the cabinets she suggested I use PC on the front doors to clean up the look. TOTAL GAME CHANGER! I may have been going through the house looking at things that need to be caulked after that!!!
So I figured I would share some of the smaller projects in the laundry room, starting with the last one I did.
I could have taken the easy way to build shelves in this space. But I sort of wanted the wow factor of chunky shelves. I knew there would be no way I would be able to hang true chunky blocks of wood on the wall, so I searched for a tutorial to tell me what to do. I was surprised to find quite a few people have tackled this shelving, so dont worry if you dont like a certain tutorial.
The cabinets hanging in the LR are 30″ tall, so after drawing out plan after plan, I figured I could easily get away with three shelves in this space and I would be pretty even with the top and bottom. I planned for 3-4″ tall x 30″ long shelves that were spaced approx 11″ apart and 12″ wide.
Before we go any further, you must know….building things is still new to me and I pretty much suck.
Now that we have cleared the air….
Here is what my cut list looked like:
Another thing to note that this rookie learned the hard way…..I wanted my shelves to be 4″ tall and grabbed two 1×4′s, stained them, cut them down, and when I went to glue them on, I noticed they are actually 3/4″ x 3.5″. I was not happy and probably looked like a total idiot when I complained to everyone that knows how it really is.
The easiest part was building the frameI did not stain these since they are going to be on the inside of the actual shelf and no one will see them. Obviously your cuts will not be the same as mine, but I cut all the frames with:
3- 30″ boards for the back supports
4- 10″ boards for the center and side supports for each shelf (12 total)
I predrilled my screw holes on the back board just to make my life easier since I was doing this alone. I used some wood screws I had laying around the house from other projects, but I made sure to use 2″ long screws on the exterior boards in case it offered extra support.
Once all three frames were built. I brought them in and started hanging them up. Here is where the project manager (who was sleeping during this construction) and I disagreed. He suggested this would have been easier to build if I had it assembled prior to hanging on the wall. You will see why in a second, but that was not possible. What I DO suggest is going ahead and screwing the bottoms onto the frame. It makes it a little heavier, but it saves you a frustrating step.
I spaced my shelves distance from the bottom of the bottom shelf to the bottom of the next shelf and again for the top shelf. You can tell in the pictures there is a smaller gap in between the top two shelves and that is ok.
Now that the framework is up, it is time to add the top and bottom pieces. I used my 1x12s for this portion and they fit like a glove. I started out by staining them with five coats of Special Walnut stain. I have a special place in my heart for that color. It isnt overwhelming of a color and still has that rustic feel to it.
Once your stain is dried (or almost dry because you are impatient like me) cut the boards to your dream size and get to attaching. The bottoms were challenging since the frame was up, so you have to screw them in upside down. I used four screws on each bottom and placed them based on what looked like a good spot. There might have been a little sagging action that needed to be addressed or too much of a gap that needed to be closed was how I made this decision (I told you I dont build things).
For the tops, I used some wood glue so there were no visible screws. Make sure to have something heavy to push the boards in place while they dry
Oh the fronts. My total height of these shelves was 4″ exactly. Remember earlier I said they did not make 4″ boards. They SAY 4″, but it is all lies! I had to go back to the store and kindly bat an eye and see if anyone would love me enough to rip a 6″ board down. Nope. No one would help me. I asked three people and not a single one cared about my situation. It irritated me because they have braces and guides for their saws, I dont. So I bought the 1x6s and said I would just do it myself.
And that I did. I wont lie, I was nervous.
I cut my board down the to 30″ length I needed and then measured out 4″ with a straight line. Then I went VERY SLOW. I let the saw tell me what to do somewhat, but when I started to get really nervous, I cut the piece in half so I wasn’t reaching awkwardly.There were some parts that had a wiggly edge, but they were so unnoticable. Once those were cut, I slapped on five coats of Special Walnut stain and glued them to the fronts of the shelves. I applied pressure for about three minutes to each one so the glue would hold.