My Midwest Travels

Hey hey!  I seriously cannot stand jet lag.  For some reason going North to South kills me every time and I am still somewhat exhausted.

Last Thursday, my sister, Matt, and I headed off to Chicago for my cousin’s wedding.  In case you lost count, my dad’s side of the family still lives there and I lived there for the first 14 years of my life.  We arrived pretty late on Thursday, but it was an uneventful trip in.

Friday we had plans to take my other sister to the Cubs game since that was one of Matt’s requests, to see Wrigley Field.  When I woke up (which was early because the sun was up at around 5:30 am) I looked out the window to see if it was raining like they said and sure enough….it was SNOWING!!!!  May 16th and there were huge, fat flakes falling from the sky.  I was in total shock.  I cannot remember a time when it snowed in May up there, cold yes, but not snow!  Needless to say, I was poopy pants for sure.

We headed downtown and froze our butts off at the game.  Thank goodness for the hot chocolate vendors in the stands!

We decided to call it a day after the 7th inning stretch and meet my dad back downtown for dinner.  We were cold and wet and no one was really interested in the Cubs (Braves fans in my house).  We jumped back on the train, had an amazingly filling dinner at Miller’s Pub, and then headed down to Navy Pier.

With the weather being as poopy as it was, I was surprised it was as clear as it was.  We jumped on the Ferris Wheel for a few photos and decided at 9:30 it was time to head home.  My legs needed a good rolling after all!!

Saturday my dad, sister, and I woke up early because I signed us up for a race.  This was my sister’s first ever race and chose to run the two miler.  My dad and I opted for the 8k.  First mistake: letting a 13 year old pace my first mile.  We were flying.  BUT….BUT I may have figured out the leg cramping issue.  Dehydration.  At mile 1.2 I noticed my legs were going to give me issues, so I started drinking the water bottle my sister did not want.  I felt so much better.  So I kept drinking every time there was even an inkling of tightness until I stopped feeling pain.  Of course, I was VERY full of water and wanted to barf everywhere.  I made it 5.02 miles in 1:05.  Must work on that time!

Photo: It's not that great of an idea to let a 13 year old pace your first mile! Way to go Karli for running your first race!

I was very exhausted after and wanted to nap, but napping is not something I can do after a run.  We all laid down for a little bit and then my sisters and I went to get our hair done for the wedding. Once done, we hopped in a limo and headed downtown to my cousin’s wedding at the Sears Tower.


It was a nice wedding and had spectacular views like this:


Photo: Beautiful sunset over a beautiful city at a beautiful wedding

Photo: Looking straight down from the top floor of the Sears Tower

Yep, you are looking 103 floors down to the street.  Those Sky Boxes are crazy scary!

Sunday we were on the go again!  My best friend from growing up lives in Milwaukee and it was high time we saw her and met her baby.  I must say, Milwaukee is a very cute town.  We drove around a bit and saw some of the sights.  I also threw her daughter a small surprise cupcake party for her first birthday.

Monday we headed back to Atlanta and I am still trying to catch up on sleep.  I am feeling very lazy and useless.  Oh, and broke.  Very very broke.  It was a fun little trip, but reminded me yet again about how I would never move back.  Let me remind you why….SNOW ON MAY 16TH!!!!!

  1 comment for “My Midwest Travels

  1. May 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm

    Looks like a super fun trip! Love the yellow dress on you. And of course, adorable surprise bday decorations. You are so crafty!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *