Happy Friday! I am dying for the weekend to start so I can get a few more things done around that house and recharge my batteries. I want to start with a clean slate before I start working the Chore Chart next week.
Exciting news for me….my guest room post was featured on Cutting Edge Stencil’s blog today! I am pretty stinking pumped. Luckily, the room is ALMOST done, so I will soon show the full before and afters. I have just a few more things I need to do and then I’m moving onto the next room (oh wait….I already have).
In my guest room I wanted to add some elements of gold because I am madly in love with Navy Blue and gold. I have to say this one thing about lighting, it is damn expensive. I mean, seriously, I must be really cheap or out of touch because my jaw dropped when I saw the prices for the lighting I wanted to add to this room. I didnt want to add lamps to the side of the bed (been there, done that), I couldn’t add anything over the bed (ceiling fan), so I had to use a wall mounted light. Luckily for me, I had two laying around wondering if they were ever going to see the light of day again. Get it, light. Wow! Someone needs to start their weekend.
Do you remember my cute little IKEA lights originally seen in our master bedroom many moons ago?
But since moving two times since this picture was taken, that headboard broke and my lights ended up homeless and collecting dust. I really had no where to put them until I started planning out this guest room. The problem with the lights was they didnt have that feeling the room was bound to have.
Then I ran into this post from Shine Your Light and how she hacked the same lamps I had….with the same color I was dreaming of!! Great minds…. (ps her tutorial is WAAAY better than mine because I failed on taking picture. Sometimes I just get lost in the moment)
My sad little lights were ready for a little makeover! The metallic gold spray paint was a little pricey for me, so I did buy the next best spray paint called Champagne Gold color at Home Depot.
I took everything apart and taped just as she suggested in the tutorial. The only thing I ended up changing mid project was taking the painters tape off the shades. The paint did not stick to the tape the way I wanted it to and it looked unfinished for me. Maybe I did something wrong?
Make sure to tape up your cords. I feel like mentioning that because in my rookie days, I wouldn’t have done that.
Then I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed. It took a few good coats to get things how I wanted.
After giving it over night dry time, I was only feeling ok with how it turned out. I was worried they were going to look off or too dark.
I have actually been warming up to them. My sister pushed me over the edge of liking them more when I heard her reaction when she came into the room. What is really cool is Target had the mirrors I have hanging over the bed in almost the exact same color.
So there is my version of the Arstid Ikea Lamp hack. All that is left with this is to buy the cord covers to mount on the wall. Well all that is left for this particular project, the room….not much left actually. GASP!
Next up….getting that ceiling fan installed! Even if I have to do it myself!